![]() |
| 10-3-07 |
This has been a sad time at our house. Gracie's great-grandmother is almost gone. We drove to Jackson for the weekend to say our goodbyes. Gracie gave Evie a big kiss on the forehead and said, "I love you Evie" with her best smile. Evie seemed to smile and said, "I love you, too." It was a precious moment that I want to memorialize. Addie was there too, contributing joy in her own way, mostly just by looking cute and posing for more chocolate chex from Pam Pam. Of course, Anita Beth and I both told Evie how much we loved her. I read Psalm 139 to her and she seemed moved by it though it was hard to tell.
Anita Beth and Gracie love Evie so much, which I find so endearing. Gracie has never known Evie outside of a small sanitary room in a nursing home and yet Gracie loves going to see Evie. St. Catherine's village is "Evie's House" to Gracie. Anita Beth's first memory of Evie is watching Tennessee win the national championship on her sofa back in 1999, when we were still engaged. I had taken her to Evie's to show off my my bride, score some visited with grandmother points with Evie and Mom, and simulateously catch some college football action. I am so self-centered. Anyway, Anita Beth has always been good at making conversation with Evie, one-sided though it may be, when I could not think of anything good to say and just wanted to look at the television for an escape. I did have a chance to share my favorite memory of Evie with her last weekend on one of our visits. It's when I was 15 years old and just starting to drive. She let me drive her all the way home to Jackson from Destin in her big Lexus--fully equipped with a radar detector. I'll bet the speedometer never read anything below 80 the whole way. She never said a word other than, "You sure are a good driver Jake." That was a great day for me. We will all miss Evie. We love you Evie and we know we will see you again one day someday, in glorification.
Monday we drove home to Selmer. That night Granny brought the girls ballerina outfits. They created some good picture opportunities.

No comments:
Post a Comment