Monday, December 29, 2008

Spike Gets a Bath

Gracie never forgets. Last night at the dinner table I mentioned to her that it might be fun to give Spike a bath.  Gracie thought that was a marvelous idea and couldn't wait. We decided we'd do it right before she had her bath. But then one thing led to another and other chores took precedent and before we knew it, it was waaay past everybody's bedtime. So, to Gracie's disappointment, we didn't bathe Spike. And of course, to ease her pain, we assured her we would bathe the puppy "tomorrow". 

The first thing Gracie suggests after dinner tonight was for us to bathe Spike. We couldn't let her down two days in a row, so tonight, we bathed Spike. 

It's difficult having a kid as sharp as Gracie. I too often find myself trying to trick her so that I won't have to give her the attention she seeks or do the task she's demanding by telling her we'll do it later, hoping she'll forget before later ever comes around. She NEVER forgets. I'm feeling guilty now. I wonder how often she thinks in her little head, "Dad won't ever do the things with me he said he would do. Dad won't follow through."

 Ouch. So tonight we bathed Spike. 

No comments: